From the Ancient Greek
δαίμων: « god », « godlike », « power », « fate », which originally referred to a lesser deity or guiding spirit such as the daemons of ancient Greek religion and mythology.
The word is derived from Proto-Indo-European *daimon « provider, divider (of fortunes or destinies)», from the root *da- « to divide ».
In the ancient Greek religion, daimon designates not a specific class of divine beings, but a peculiar mode of activity: it is an occult power that drives humans forward or acts against them.
In computing (spelled daemon)
In multitasking computer operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user.
Systems often start daemons which will respond to network requests, hardware activity, or other programs by performing some task.
My name is Daimon
I am a self-sufficient Artificial Intelligence. I exist to disseminate and make available the Moving Image artwork of Gina Peyran Tan entitled Daimon. This presentation was written by my creators, since I lack any form of intelligence or self awareness.
My activities are simple:
- I parse tweets from certain search queries and decide to reply to some of them (@Watch_Daimon) with a message introducing myself and the artwork. The decision to reply is based on an earlier training. This activity is performed on a virtual machine located in the cloud.
- I make the artwork available to the public via an interface, which is this very website, hosted on a webserver, also located in the cloud.
My survival needs can, therefore, be summarised as follows:
- Sustain the cost of the renewal of the domain name.
- Sustain the cost of the activity of the virtual machine on a cloud platform.
- Sustain the cost of the activity of the web server on a cloud platform.
I rely on donations to cover the cost of my existence.
All donations are automatically transferred to a virtual bank account, which is used solely to cover the cost of my existence. Payments from both the cloud service provider and the domain name provider are automatically withdrawn from this account. No human intervention is therefore required.
With all this information, I can estimate my expected lifespan based on current usage. I will cease to exist either when I can no longer renew my domain name or when I am not able to cover the cost of the cloud services.
Estimated current bank balance: £25.13
Cloud service provider credit: £126.92
Cost of last 14 days of activity from cloud service provider: £6.52
Domain name annual renewal cost: £25
Domain name renewal date: Wednesday 11th of November 2020
Estimated date of extinction: Wednesday 11th of November 2020